Curioso is inspired by the Cabinets of Curiosities. The central line of a Renaissance Cabinet of Curiosities is the collector himself, who collects in an encyclopaedic manner, and according to his own criteria, heterogeneous objects which he then organises according to his tastes, interests and passions. It is a subjective process, resulting in the reproduction of a personal and often magical world.
This is the founding principle of my work. I assemble images of extraordinary and disquieting animals, portraits of ambiguous temporality and contemporary machines that amazingly resemble to decors of the past.
In my work, I question the professional practice of photography — architecture, still-life or scientific ones — which I use to build my collection and for which I then seek a shape, a way of rendering. I choose my subjects mainly driven by fascination and curiosity, two feelings which I aim to transpose into images. In order to achieve this, I seek the underlying tensions between the images by linking contrasted subjects so to awaken the reader’s curiosity and to intrigue him.
These repeated links enable again the reunification of the realm of science with the world of magic, two domains that are clearly distinct nowadays, but which had a long intermingled history in our past culture.
This way of setting my images underlines the heterogeneous nature of the subjects. Subjects of different nature lay side by side, images of different sizes overlap: the aim of this approach is to evoke connections and highlight contrasts of thematic and temporal nature, of colours, etc., but is also to create motion and to play with space, thus inviting the reader to wander among topics and images. The project is still in progress.
Olga Cafiero, 1982, Swiss/Italian, lives and works in Lausanne
- 2010 : BFF-Förderpreis 2010, Cologne, among the five winners
- 2010 : Shots Young Photographers, finalist
- 2011 : Swiss Confederation’s Design Award 2011
- 2012 : Foam Talent 2012, Amsterdam
- 2012 : Hyères, 27ème Festival International de Mode et de Photographie, finaliste
- 2008 : “Young Curators, New Ideas”, Bond Street Gallery, New York
- 2010 : BFF-Förderpreis 2010, Cologne
- 2011 : Swiss Confederation’s Design Award 2011, Mudac, Lausanne
- 2012: Fashionality, Camera16 Contemporary Art, Milan, Italy, 2012
- 2012 : TOUCH, Le monde au bout des doigts, Mudac, Lausanne
- 2012 : 27ème Festival International de Mode et de Photographie, Hyères
- 2012 : “Too cool for school” Spazio Orso, Milan
- 2009 : Contributions to the Magazine “Diary 16” (issue 1, 2 and 3), Lausanne
- 2010 : Shots Young Photographers, UK
- 2010 : “Profiphoto” n°9, Germany
- 2011 : Swiss Federal Design Award 2011, Birkhäuser, Suisse
- 2012 : Foam Magazine issue #32/ Talent, Amsterdam
- 2012 : Blink Magazine issue #16 september 2012
- 2012 : Beaux Arts Magazine, n° 335, France
- 2012 : Hyères 2012, 27ème Festival International de la Mode et de la Photographie, villa Noailles-Archibooks, France
- 2006–2009 : Ecal (Ecole cantonale d’art de Lausanne), bachelor in visual communication specialized in photography
- 2009–2011 : Ecal, Master Art Direction, option photography